Like many Lawrence residents, Dan Rivera is the son of a single mother who emigrated from the Dominican Republic to find a better life for her family by working in area mills. As the middle boy of a family of four, Dan is the type of person who never had anything handed to him. He has worked hard his entire life and now wants to work for you as your next Mayor. Dan has the experience and educational background for the job and shares our common values of a strong work ethic and meaningful community involvement.
Dan grew up in Lawrence, went to Lawrence public schools and now owns a home here. As a youth Dan was a Boy Scout, a US Air Force Auxiliary Civil Air Patrol Cadet, newspaper delivery boy for the Eagle Tribune, Co-chair of LHS Model United Nations, and high school Senior Class Secretary. Dan is a Lawrence kid. He has the character, integrity and work ethic to restore our city’s pride, rehabilitate our image and repair the damage done by the current administration. By uniting the Anglo and Latino residents of our city, Dan will renew a commitment to all Lawrencians that we will have responsive, efficient government services, safe and clean streets, excellent schools, and a vibrant local economy.
After high school Dan served our country as a Military Police officer in Germany where he was deployed to Iraq and Kuwait during Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. When he returned home, Dan worked his way through college on the GI Bill at University of Massachusetts, Amherst where he received his Bachelor’s Degree. While at UMass Amherst, Dan was a dorm resident assistant and was elected by his fellow students to represent them on the Board of Trustees for the University of Massachusetts system.
Dan has worked many jobs in his life, but one of his proudest accomplishments was becoming manager of the public housing project he grew up in. During his time as a project manager, Dan went to school nights and weekends to earn his Masters degree in Business Administration from Suffolk University. Dan later worked as Economic Development Director for Congressman Marty Meehan before joining the private sector for a career in marketing.
Dan is currently in the middle of his second term as an At Large City Councilor. He was elected Vice President of the Council during his second term and has chaired the Budget and Finance Committee for the past three years. Dan led the Council in finding close to $500,000 to fund police positions during the worst of the City’s financial crisis, and initiated a successful campaign to cut the City Council’s pay as a sign of fairness and shared sacrifice during tough budget times. Dan has worked to make the City services more responsive, more transparent, and financially healthy. Dan is a member of the Board of Trustees for Northern Essex Community College where he has played a supporting role in the expansion of the college’s Lawrence campus. Dan’s professional experience as a marketing manager and his government involvement at the local and federal level gives him
a solid foundation to hit the ground running as your next Mayor.Dan will renew a commitment to all Lawrencians that no one will work harder to restore our city’s reputation and unity, rebuild our public safety departments, renew our commitment to our youth and schools, refocus on bringing jobs and economic growth to the City, regain the trust of our city’s residents, and rehabilitate our city’s image across the state.
- Married to Paula King Rivera
- 42 years old
- Heritage: Dominican/Puerto Rican
- Suffolk University, Master of Business Administration, 2003
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Bachelor of Arts, 1996
- U.S. Army Military Police Academy, 1990
- Lawrence High School, Class of 1989
- Database Marketing Manager, Birddog Solution, Inc. – Present
- Marketing Operations Manager, Aspentech Inc.
- Marketing Manager, Philips Lifeline
- Economic Development Director, Congressman Marty Meehan
- Project Manager, Stadium Courts, Lawrence Housing Authority
- Program Manager, Catholic Charities Lawrence
- Coordinator, Mauricio Gaston Institute, UMass Boston
- Military Police Officer: United States Army – Germany, Iraq and Kuwait
- Lawrence City Council, Vice President and City Councilor At Large
- Budget and Finance Committee, Chair
- Northern Essex Community College, Board of Trustees Member
- Lawrence Democratic City Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Massachusetts Democratic State Party, Platform Committee Member
- Youth Development Organization, Treasurer
- Mount Vernon Neighborhood Association, Member
- Prospect Hill Neighborhood Association, Member
- Colonial Heights Neighborhood Association, Member
- Lawrence Boys & Girls Club, Alumnus and Past Board Member
- Family Service, Inc., Advisory Board Member
- Hope Street Youth Center, Past Board President
- Site Captain, Groundwork Lawrence Annual Spicket River Clean up